Just about every culture has some kind of stuffed dumpling or ravioli like dish. My grandmother was from Lithuania and she would make something that she called Claskis. I don’t know if that’s the proper spelling or not, or even if that was a dish from Lithuania or if my grandmother invented it after she came to America. But anyway she made it and taught my mother how to make these delectable delights! It really was a special day when we had these because they’re actually a lot of work. Its actually a good activity for the whole family to participate in!
This is not a true LCHF recipe because of the use of all purpose flour in the making of the dough. However, in the grand scheme of things, its not that bad. Its not like eating a bowl of ice cream!
Here’s a basic recipe off the top of my head…
- 1 lb bacon cut into julienne strips
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb button or crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb ham steak, cut into cubes
- Maggi sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch salt
To make the filling watch the video.
To make the dough:
- Put both flours in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine
- Add the next 4 ingredients
- Turn on the processor. The dough should come together and move around the bowl in a ball as its being processed. If its too dry, it may not come together, so add a little more water. If its too wet, you’ll have to add more flour.
- Once you have a ball of dough, turn it out onto a counter and knead for 30 seconds
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 15 minutes
- Using a pasta machine roll out the dough, cut out circles
- Fill with filling
- Eat with sauteed onions and sour cream