This is one of my favorite breakfast meals. In this version we are going to replace the English Muffin with a Coffee Mug Muffin made with coconut flour. Coconut flour of course is grain and gluten free, but it does have carbs so be careful. We just use one tablespoon here so that’s only 5 grams of carbs. Lets go…
Put on a small pan of water to poach the eggs then make the muffin. To access the Coffee Mug Muffin recipe, click here!
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- water for poaching eggs
- Protein for your Eggs Benedict like Bacon or Smoked Salmon like I used here
- 1 tbl water
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 tbl butter
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Make the muffin
2. Turn muffin out on plate
3. Let cool a minute or two
4. Slice into 4 pieces
5. Toast on top of toaster
6. Meanwhile, bring the water to a simmer in a shallow pan. Add vinegar (this will help keep the eggs from spreading out too much). Crack the eggs open and carefully place the egg in the water. Be careful, don’t boil your fingertips! I turned my eggs over to cook the tops a bit. Use a slotted spoon.
7. Place the toasted coconut muffin bread on the plate
8. Add your protein, which in my case is Smoked Salmon. You can use bacon, pork belly or Canadian bacon
9. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and let excess water drip off. Place on top of protein.
10. I dumped the water and used the same pan to make the hollandaise sauce. Put the water, lemon, egg yolk, butter, salt and pepper into the pan.
11. With the flame on low, stir with a whisk. As the sauce gets hot the egg yolk will thicken. Don’t overheat or your eggs will scramble! Lift the pan off the heat to lessen the heat. If your sauce starts to break, add a tiny bit of cold water and whisk.
12. Put the sauce on top of the eggs and enjoy! A sprinkle of chopped chives would have been nice, but alas! No chives in the house! But you get the idea! 🙂