You’ve probably heard of “Egg in the Hole” or “Bird’s Nests” or maybe not. When I was a little kid my dad would make me an egg in the hole for breakfast every now and then. He’d take a slice of Wonder Bread and cut a hole in the middle of it with a small glass. He then heated up some butter in a pan, tossed in the bread slice and the hole and browned them a little bit, turned them over and he’d crack an egg into the hole in the bread slice. After awhile, he’d flip everything over again to finish cooking the egg and nicely brown the bread.
My Eating Method
When I got it served to me I would cut the bread slice with the egg in it in half and watch the egg yolk run. Mmmm, delicious. I would then eat each half being sure that each bite had some bread, egg and egg yolk with it. When I finished both halves I turned my attention to the hole. That round circle of delicious butter soaked brown toasted bread. I’d make sure to mop up the last of the egg yolk with it and pop the whole thing in my mouth. Mmmmmmm, very delicious!
The New Updated Primal Version
Now that I don’t eat bread much anymore, what’s a grown boy to do? Instead of Wonder Bread I use slices of Coconut Flour Mug Muffins. Those are my holes and there is no bread slice. So its just Eggs with Holes! Still delicious though!
So here we go!
1. Make a Mug Muffin using coconut flour or other flour that is gluten and grain free. I’ve been using some almond flour and some garbanzo bean flour. Garbanzo beans are a legume and is OK in small quantities.
2. Heat a tbl of butter in a pan and add two slices of your mug muffin.
3. Toast on one side, flip over and add your eggs. I like to let the eggs attach themselves to the holes. It makes it harder to flip over, but I like the challenge! And viola! Mmmmm, delicious!
Eggs with Holes!
Darn! One of my egg yolks broke! But it was still good! Thanks Dad!
This is one of my favorite omelets. I actually serve this omelet open face with the Smoked Salmon on top. Its kind of like a warm Blinis and Smoked Salmon plate without the Blinis, and instead of hard boiled egg, the egg is a nice warm omelet egg! OK, let’s go…
2 Eggs (I used just one in the pictures. I wasn’t that hungry. But you can use up to three eggs (or more if you want to share))!
1 tsp butter
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbl cream
pinch of salt
chopped chives (save some to sprinkle on top)
2 ounces cream cheese
Smoked Salmon (I used 2 ounces)
1. Gather your ingredients and prep them
2. Melt butter with olive oil in nice non-stick pan
3. Put the cream in
4. Crack the egg(s) into the pan and whisk with a fork in the pan being careful not to scratch the pan (I don’t want to dirty too many dishes!)
5. Add the chives and a pinch of salt, then pinch off bits of the cream cheese and add to the pan
6. Cook until set. You can flip the omelet over is you want to cook the loose eggs. Flip it back over and slide it onto a plate.
This is one of my favorite breakfast meals. In this version we are going to replace the English Muffin with a Coffee Mug Muffin made with coconut flour. Coconut flour of course is grain and gluten free, but it does have carbs so be careful. We just use one tablespoon here so that’s only 5 grams of carbs. Lets go…
Put on a small pan of water to poach the eggs then make the muffin. To access the Coffee Mug Muffin recipe, click here!
2 whole eggs
1 tsp white vinegar
water for poaching eggs
Protein for your Eggs Benedict like Bacon or Smoked Salmon like I used here
1 tbl water
Juice from half a lemon
2 tbl butter
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
Make the muffin
2. Turn muffin out on plate
3. Let cool a minute or two
4. Slice into 4 pieces
5. Toast on top of toaster
6. Meanwhile, bring the water to a simmer in a shallow pan. Add vinegar (this will help keep the eggs from spreading out too much). Crack the eggs open and carefully place the egg in the water. Be careful, don’t boil your fingertips! I turned my eggs over to cook the tops a bit. Use a slotted spoon.
7. Place the toasted coconut muffin bread on the plate
8. Add your protein, which in my case is Smoked Salmon. You can use bacon, pork belly or Canadian bacon
9. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and let excess water drip off. Place on top of protein.
10. I dumped the water and used the same pan to make the hollandaise sauce. Put the water, lemon, egg yolk, butter, salt and pepper into the pan.
11. With the flame on low, stir with a whisk. As the sauce gets hot the egg yolk will thicken. Don’t overheat or your eggs will scramble! Lift the pan off the heat to lessen the heat. If your sauce starts to break, add a tiny bit of cold water and whisk.
12. Put the sauce on top of the eggs and enjoy! A sprinkle of chopped chives would have been nice, but alas! No chives in the house! But you get the idea! 🙂
Get Chef Harry’s 21-Day Fun Foods Plan to try LCHF now for just $63!
For just $3 a day, fun foods get to stay.
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring.
Ready to learn what the LCHF Fun Foods Meal Plan is all about?
If you’ve been eating LCHF for a while and are looking to mix things up, then this cooking challenge is perfect for you. You’ll be exposed to many new ideas to add to your recipe repertoire – give this plan a shot!
Just take it from Laurel: This was a great class for me! I am not a very imaginative cook and can easily get into a rut. Now I have a whole new group of recipes to enjoy! I have let fellow hive members at Unveil Your Wellness know what fun it was. Also without trying I have lost 2 lbs and stay fuller longer. If you ever do a follow-up class with different recipes, count me in. Thank you for everything!
I’ll show you how to bring the fun back in the food you eat with tacos, pizzas, bread, desserts, and more! Let’s get cooking.
Why choose the LCHF Fun Foods Cooking Meal Plan?
Cook without hassle – See how easy it is to cook Primal. Become a natural at preparing killer LCHF meals that get you results.
See exciting new ideas – Forget boredom and spice up your recipe repertoire. Try new things – like cauliflower pizza!* *I was a restaurant chef for 25 years and thought I saw it all until I made a pizza crust using cauliflower!
Don’t worry about dairy – Eat the fun foods you usually can’t. Learn the recipe modifications you can make to be dairy-free!
Gluten and Grain Free – Eat the fun foods you usually can’t. Learn the recipe modifications you can make to be dairy-free
Get advice you can trust – Learn from a restaurant chef who became a Primal Blueprint Certified Health Coach… to help you!
Become a Fat-Burning Beast – Retrain your body to burn fat instead of sugar. Eat low-carb, high-fat meals to get results.
Target unwanted weight – Work toward reaching your goal weight. Limit carbs to 50g a day to start to burn stored fat.
Share with the Community – Join my Facebook Group group to share ideas with others on the same journey to make Primal fun!
Enjoy flexibility – Complete 21 days of recipes, or hold off on some. Substitute my recipe ingredients to your heart’s content. Just keep in mind, I do big meals on Sundays and use the extra food for quick meals during the week!
Gear up to a ketosisstate – Prep for my Ketosis Focus plan by following the dairy-free options throughout the LCHF challenge.
For those of you on medication:
By following a low-carb, high-fat diet, I lost 70 lbs and was able to get off my Type II Diabetes and High Blood Pressure Meds. As always, check with your doctor before beginning any program that may cause weight loss.
For everyone, keep these 2 points in mind:
80% of your food choices need to be healthy in order to maintain or improve body composition success.
No amount of exercise can fix a bad diet.
We’re going to be eating low-carb, high-fat, and moderate protein meals. The meals we cook together will be interesting, tasty, and easy to do. No special cooking skills or equipment required!
We’re going to get rid of the sugar and all the other foods that turn into sugar in your system. You’re going to go from a sugar burner to a fat-burning beast!
This is not a weight loss challenge, but by eating this way, I did lose a lot of weight (down 70 pounds in 14 months). More importantly, I feel great – this is the way I’m going to eat for the rest of my life!
All recipes are free of gluten and grains, and I also offer dairy-free options for all recipes!
Don’t say goodbye to the fun foods
This 21-Day LCHF Fun Foods meal plan will bring back the fun foods many people miss when they start to eat Primal/Paleo.
Enjoy burgers on buns, tacos, pizza, “pasta” and even desserts again, all while staying LCHF!
Plus, there’s lots more! Daily Food-for-Thought tips, cooking videos, recipes, shopping lists, and informative guides to help you know the reasons behind the plan!
Please Note: You can also buy a month’s access or 6 months’ access to everything on this site, including all the meal plans, recipes, and cooking videos. Just click on the “Access Premium Content” on the top menu bar, then select “Buy an Access Plan” and choose the one that fits your needs.
Testimonials for the Fun Foods Challenge
Christine says: Loved this challenge! Learned a ton, and got inspired to learn more about primal. I really liked the “prep for tomorrow” segments, as a good reminder of what’s coming up the next day. Loved that on some days we had multiple options along the lines of teaching us a technique! And that not every recipe was a super involved complete meal – there was a good balance in the challenge. Thanks, Harry!!
Thank you for a wonderful challenge!! I’ve tried a lot of new things, got a lot of inspiration from you and the other challengers, and a super introduction to Primal. I’ve learned some great info in the past 3 weeks and picked up some new habits to carry forward. Thanks for being such a great coach!
Allison says: Yummy. This challenge has taught me some easy and decadent culinary skills. It’s easy to stay primal with such an artillery of awesomeness. Lots of the dishes are now mainstays in this home.
To find out more about going primal,
to receive my free eBook entitled, “Being Primal”!